Monday, November 1, 2010

Let's talk about poop.

Now is when you squeamish folk should stop reading and go watch The Price is Right instead.

********************

Face it, if you're a raw feeder, or even thinking about it, poop is an inevitable subject.  I'm learning that, as a raw feeder, you become a veritable Poop Expert.  I've always given some thought to my pets' poop, as I do feel like it can tell you a lot about their health.  Nine times out of ten, Normal Poop = Healthy Pet.


However, in the past three days, I have given even more thought to this taboo subject.  And not without reason, I don't think.  Making such a change like this in Mona's diet is bound to have an impact on her digestive system, and I fully expect to see the proof of these changes in piles around the yard.  And already, in three days' time, things are changing.

While on kibble, Mona pooped once a day; a large, very dark--almost black--pile in the yard.  Today was different.  For lack of a more eloquent description, today was light golden brown turdlets.  A fraction of the size of a normal deposit, and completely different in texture.  Did you say you wanted pictures?  I thought you'd never ask.

Kibble poop.

Raw chicken poop.

I had promised myself that I would document this raw feeding transition as closely as I could.  And, well, poop is part of it!  Call me a perve, but when I was researching raw, I'd actually wished more raw-fed poop pictures existed, as I was curious as to how Mona's poop compares with an appropriately-fed raw dog.  So, this is where I'd like some advice... Is this "new" poop too pale?  I understand white poop signifies too much bone, but even at an appropriate level of bone, is raw poop always lighter in color?  Perhaps it's simply because I'd grown accustomed to Mona's jet-black turds, but I do want to know if I should be tweaking her food in any way.

2 comments:

  1. Poop is indicative of what was fed - since Mona is just eating chicken right now, this is chicken poop.

    Mona's poop is normal, for what was fed.

    Raw fed dogs drink less, since raw meat has plenty of fluid. But bony poops will be very firm/hard and somewhat dry.

    Also, since raw is the optimum diet for carnivores, there is much less waste.
    no fillers = less poop volume.
    GREAT for cleanup!

    Thighs and drums are bony - bony is ok for new to raw fed dogs - but you'll want to feed through whole chickens very soon, and then move on to newer, less bony meats.

    RAW - BONE %s in Chicken

    Broiler or Fryer whole, meat and skin and giblets and neck 31%
    back, meat and skin 44%
    breast, meat and skin 20%
    drumstick, meat and skin 33%
    thigh, meat and skin 21%
    leg, meat and skin 27%
    neck, meat and skin 36%
    neck, meat only 75%
    wing, meat and skin 46%
    wing, meat only 68%

    Capon 27%
    Cornish Hen 39% no neck/giblets
    Roaster 27%
    Stewing 32% ( 27% bone, 5% separable fat)

    couldn't resist posting to your blog instead of onlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the stats! I've actually been trying to keep a list of bone percentages and so forth, but it's a lot! I plan to start adding more meaty meat once I feel she's got the hang of this. I'm trying to begin "networking" to get some good meat sources. Here's hoping for lots of luck with deer season, lol!

    ...And getting a comment on my blog was much more exciting than on the list! :)

    ReplyDelete