Sunday, November 28, 2010

Smelly smelt.

While on the hunt for marked-down, low-sodium turkeys for Mona, I found some smelt marked down to $0.81 a package.  They're tiny little sardine-like fish, and they looked like they could be great snacks for Mona, so I bought a package.

First and foremost: If you've never bought them before, THEY SMELL.  I know fish smell, but I wasn't expecting these tiny little fish to smell every bit as much as a big fish does!  Anyway, I figured the easiest way to handle them would be to freeze them individually, so I could dole them out as needed.  Um, they're gross.


I gave one to Mona to try while I finished lining them up on the cookie sheet.  Mona's reaction?

"Is this a joke?"

CLEARLY UNAMUSED.  She's used to getting little tidbits when I'm portioning out some meat for her.  I'd already packaged up some ground turkey to freeze, and she had a little nibble of that.  But the next time, I slipped her a smelt, and she would not touch it.  I went ahead and put the sheet of them all in the freezer, and I'll bag them up once they're frozen.  However, I'm afraid I might have just wasted $0.81 on fish that will do nothing but stink up my freezer.  Lovely.

1 comment:

  1. I got that same look from my dog Toby the first time I offered him a sardine. He would have absolutely nothing to do with it. So, the next day when it was dinner time (I only feed once a day) I got a solid frozen sardine and put only that in his crate to eat. No chicken, pork, nothing but the fish. And left him there. After a couple minutes he started nibbling on it, and finally finished it. He's still a little unsure about them thawed, but by golly he loves his frozen fish-pops! :)

    ReplyDelete