Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Educate yourself.

I really don't intend to do much in the way of defending the raw diet to those who don't approve of it.  I've done my research, I really do feel it's the healthiest food for Mona, and it's the right choice for me, period.  But I do feel the need to speak up when someone has no good reason to back their disapproval.  If you're going to tell me you don't agree with something, you better have something to back it up with.

What it all comes down to is DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.  Do not let any one person make up your mind on anything, particularly when your pet's health is in question.  Even if your vet tells you what to feed, do some research.  I'm finding that very few veterinarians know much in regards to pet nutrition.  I realize there are exceptions to this, but for the most part, vets aren't required to take many--if any--courses on nutrition.  As a result, their main means of "education" comes from the pet food representatives, whose views are biased and whose information is often incomplete or incorrect.  Read the ingredients.  Learn what those ingredients mean, and what their role is in your pet's diet.  Compare labels.  Check it ALL out.  Then and only then can you decide what is truly best for your pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment